Thursday 4 January 2018

My Top 10 K-pop Albums of 2017!

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


Google Images
Edit: I was so busy that I never got to completing this post and posting it the day I wanted to but a few days late can't be too bad.

I thought I'd end the year with a post on my favourite 10 K-pop albums that were released in 2017, my Top 10 list only contains albums that I physically own and this year I have bought 40-50 (maybe even more) K-pop albums and that's from January to November as I didn't make any K-pop purchases in December with all my funding going to Christmas presents. There's been some amazing albums released this year and I in no way want any hate or abuse just because your favourite group or album didn't make MY Top 10. This is just all down to my personal opinion, so shall we get this countdown started?

NO.10
So starting off my Top 10 list and coming in at No.10, we have Twice's 4th mini album Signal.


For me this album deserves to be on my list as for me so far this is Twice's best album released, it was the first time I was really in love with an album from Twice from start to finish and is still the only album from them that I sit and listen to on repeat.
Signal
Someone Like Me

NO.9
Coming in at No.9 we have Super Junior with their 8th full length album Play.

I was so excited for this album but by the time it was released I'm sure many fans will agree with me, I was left with a bitter taste in my mouth with how Korean fans had treated them, forcing members to step away from not only their comeback but also from promotions. I for one wasn't really surprised that Kangin would be joining them for this album, I would have been more surprised if he has been involved but I was gutted for Siwon and heartbroken for Sungmin. When I first heard Black Suit it was bugging me that I felt something was missing and that was because both Ryeowook and Kyuhyun's vocals were missing. I really missed Kyuhyun's vocals and was so happy when he appeared in 2 of the tracks on the album. Play is an album that makes me want to get up and dance around the room while attempting to sing along.
Black Suit
Good Day For A Good Day

NO.8
Next in at No.8 we have JJ Project and their 1st mini album Verse 2.





I was really excited when it was announced that JB and Jinyoung were making a comeback as JJ Project and I love how whenever they perform Bounce they do their J symbol and then change it to a 7 for GOT7. I was super excited when I saw that JB and Jinyoung had been involved in the whole album, I've always loved the tracks they did for GOT7 albums so I had high expectations for this album. I loved that it was completely different to their Bounce single album and that it had more of mature sound to it.

NO.7
Coming in at No.7 we have Laboum with their 2nd mini album Miss This Kiss.

For a girl group with a smaller fan base as well as a smaller company, this album is amazing, I loved every track from my first listen, the pictures are stunning and the quality and layout of the album is perfect. I normally seem to follow boy groups rather than girl groups so I always think a girl group is quite special if they are able to pull me in.
Hwi Hwi
천지차이 (Do a 360/Heaven & Earth)

NO.6
Next coming in at No.6 we have Girls Generation with their 6th full length album Holiday Night.


I was surprised that many fans were a little disappointed with this album as I loved it from start to finish, I was also surprised that quite a few fans preferred Holiday to All Night. I loved both title tacks and loved that Holiday had the cutesy Girls Generation image that we all know and love and that All Night had more of a mature sound and image that was not only perfect for them individually but as a group. It sad that we couldn't celebrate 10 years as OT9 but I'm glad and thankful that Jessica was seen in the teasers for their anniversary.
All Night
One Last Time
rexolyrics

NO.5
Next at No.5 we have B.A.P with their 6th single album Rose.


I found B.A.P back in 2016 but didn't really get into them till the start of 2017 after deciding to buy their Noir album after hearing a snippet of Skydive, I was in love with the whole album so checked out their latest comeback at the time which was Wake Me Up. With recent news about JongHyun this album came back to me with how South Korea don't really put mental health as part of their medical priorities. I love all 3 tracks on this single album and the melodies as well as the lyrics really resonate with me, so much so that I want lyrics from Wake Me Up as part of my B.A.P tattoo. I also love that with what the members have been through especially Bang Yongguk they changed their title track to be Wake Me Up, making me think they wanted to not only make everyone aware of mental health issues but also to remind people that idols are human and they suffer just as much as any other person.
Wake Me Up
Dystopia

NO.4
Next up and coming in at No.4 we have Seventeen with their 4th mini album Al1.


Al1 really made me pay attention to Seventeen, I was in love with 울고 싶지 않아 (Don't Wanna Cry) and speechless from the choreography, I've liked Seventeen since 아주(NICE) but I didn't really pay attention to them or class myself as a Carat but this album from start to finish is a masterpiece, which then made me go back to all their past albums and buy them, I already owned Love & Letter Repackaged, but now I do own all their past albums and was keeping an eager eye out for their comeback.
울고 싶지 않아 (Don't Wanna Cry)
My I

NO.3
Hitting the No.3 spot which I think will surprise a lot of people is BTS with with their 5th mini album Love Yourself 承 'Her'.

This album from start to finish is amazing and as a UK K-pop fan I was rather proud of these guys when it entered the Official UK Albums Chart at No.14 a big jump from their Wings album peaking at No.62, it really blew up worldwide for BTS this year and I can't wait to see what 2018 has in store for them.
DNA
Mic Drop

NO.2
Just missing out on the top spot and coming in at No.2 is MONSTA X with their 5th mini album The Code.



Not only do I think this is MONSTA X's best album to date but this album also holds a special place not only in my heart but MonBebe's hearts around the world as it's title track Dramarama gave them their 1st music show win since debut. MONSTA X have yet to release an album that disappoints, they are one of the groups that constantly put out amazing albums 1 after the other so seeing them finally get a win not only made me happy but made me cry because of how proud of them I was. I was proud of Jooheon standing strong and taking over for our leader Shownu when he was too overcome to thank people, it reminded me of VIXX' 1st music show win.
MonBebe we did it.
Dramarama
From Zero
wokobee

Before I reveal who has taken the No.1 spot here are some of my honourable mentions of some of the albums that missed out on my Top 10.


Never Ever



You Are

SeoHyun's Don't Say No.

Don't Say No

TaeYeon's My Voice.

Fine
I Got Love


아름다워(Beautiful)


Signed by I.M


Shine Forever

VIXX' Shangri-La.

도원경(桃源境) (Shangri-La)


Power

NCT 127'S Cherry Bomb.

Cherry Bomb

Red Velvet's The Red Summer.

Red Flavour

EXID'S Full Moon.
DDD

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!

NO.1
Hitting the top spot and coming in at No.1 on my Top 10 K-pop Albums of 2017 is............
DAY6 with their first full length album Sunrise.

 Since I bought this album it has practically been on repeat, I love it from start to finish and it reminds me of so many rock groups that I listened while growing up like Fall Out Boy and InMe. I love that DAY6 since don't class themselves as K-pop idols and haven't gone down the route of constant promotion on music shows and variety shows, they've gone down the route of being recognised as a band and doing gigs to promote their music. To be honest this album was the reason I wanted to make this list as I knew it would be my No.1 album of the year and after watching their performance at the MAMA Awards I want a studio version of DAY6 covering GOT7' Never Ever.
I Wait(아 왜)


오늘은 내게 (Lean On Me)


Well that was my Top 10 K-pop Albums of 2017 and you may be wondering why some more recent albums from some of these artists aren't mentioned, as it got closer to Christmas my K-pop purchases had to take a backseat and I tend to try not listen to albums until I have a physical copy or if I have already purchased a physical copy. I do have DAY6' Moonrise and Seventeen's Teen,Age on the way, also I have 2 groups that are my rookies of 2017 and they are a boy group and a girl group for the girls it's Dreamcatcher and for the boys it's TRCNG.

Have I missed out on 1 of your favourite albums of 2017?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!



안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment