Tuesday 24 April 2018

Cottage Pie with Sweet Potato Mash

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)



I was looking for something to cook that would be great for a family meal but also something I could take to work with me the next day and thus I came across this recipe for cottage pie with the added bonus of the mash being sweet potatoes, I love sweet potatoes. I will share the page I found this recipe at the end of my post.
Shall we get cooking?



Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stick, chopped
650 g sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
75 ml milk
20 g butter

For the Mince base:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 celery stick, finely sliced
1 small carrot, finely chopped
500 g beef mince
3 tbsp tomato puree
500 ml passata
50 ml milk

Start off buy cooking your mince base, heat the oil in a large pan and add the oil and fry until it starts to soften.

Next add the celery and carrot and cook until soft.

In a separate pan add oil and cook the mince.

When cooked using a slotted spoon, scoop up the mince leaving behind the oil and add the mince to the veg and stir in the tomato puree and cook for 1 minute.

Next stir in the passata and bring to a simmer, cover and cook over a very low heat for 1.5 - 2 hours, I cooked mine for 30 minutes as it was burning and I think I may have had the heat too high.

Next add the milk and cook for 30 minutes.

While that is cooking in another pan heat oil and fry your 2nd onion until it starts to soften.

Add the carrot and celery and fry until tender.

Now add the mince base, mix and simmer for 20 minutes.

Pre heat your oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and cook your sweet potatoes until tender.

Once ready add the milk and mash the potatoes. Tip the meat mixture into a casserole dish and level it out.

Now pile on the sweet potato and spread it out.

Cook in the over for 30 minutes or until the top begins to brown. Once cooked you're ready to serve.

I really enjoyed this dish and it was a nice change to have sweet potato mash instead of normal potato mash. I think I made some errors when it came to the heat when cooking but overall it still tasted really nice. It's definitely something I would cook again, if you would like to follow the original recipe then head over to Sweet Potato-Topped Cottage Pie, as I missed out a few of the ingredients as well as changing the times for my own dish.

See you soon!



안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)

Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment