Tuesday 17 October 2017

Rainbow Cupcakes!

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)



Way back in 2015, I posted about baking a rainbow cake that I made for my friends birthday and a couple of months back I decided to make rainbow cupcakes for another friends birthday, as well as making another batch last week as I was wanting something sweet in the house to eat so decided on baking a batch of rainbow cupcakes.
Lets get baking!


Ingredients:
Cupcake
240 g plain flour
240 g golden caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
80 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
240 ml whole milk
2 medium eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used vanilla paste)
4 food colourings of your choice
Buttercream
500 g icing sugar
250 g unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used vanilla paste)
3 tbsp milk

Start off by pre-heating your oven to 170C/160C Fan/Gas Mark 3 and line 2 12-hole cupcake trays with your cupcake cases.

Next start on your cupcakes, in a large bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter and beat together, you can use either a freestanding mixer or an electric handheld whisk.

Next add half of the milk and mix until just incorporated.

Next in a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract and the remaining milk together.

Pour the liquid mixture into your dry mixture and mix together until the mixture is smooth.

Next divide the batter equally between 4 bowls, I used a ladle and alternated between the bowls, until the mixture was gone. Colour each one with a different food colouring, I used green, red, violet and blue.


Next layer the coloured cake mixtures into your cupcake cases. Start with one colour dividing the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases, do the same with all the other remaining cake mixtures. This may sound way too thought out but I started with the green mixture as in the grass, followed by the red and violet and finishing with the blue for the sky, with me having my buttercream being white for clouds.

Next transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.

Once the cupcakes are out of the oven allow to cool before decorating.

Next put the butter, icing sugar, vanilla extract and milk into a large bowl and beat together until smooth and shiny.

Next using a piping bag with a tip of your choice, pipe your buttercream onto your cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles of your choice.

Then they are ready to serve and enjoy.

I think these types of cupcakes are time consuming but the end result is always good, I enjoy baking and I'm tempted to make another batch this weekend along with some shortbread and cookies. I used 2 different recipes for my cupcakes, 1 of the cupcake mixture and 1 for the buttercream. This buttercream recipe is now my go to buttercream recipe as I think it's the best tasting recipe that I have found, it's also the best consistency buttercream recipe I've found too. If you want to follow the recipe's separately then you can head to BBC Rainbow Cupcakes, which is the recipe I used for my cupcake mixture, or head to Good To Know Rainbow Cupcakes.

Do you enjoy making fancy cupcakes?
Do you have recipes that you always follow?
Have you tried making rainbow cupcakes?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment